Monday, May 14, 2012

Volleyball

Growing up, I tried about every sport there is to try: basketball, softball, gymnastics, band, and soccer. But it wasn’t until I started playing volleyball that I finally felt something click. My mom signed me up to play in a league outside of school because our elementary school didn’t have sports teams (not until 6th-8th grade anyway). I started playing in 4th grade and found I was a natural at being the setter, which is ironic because it’s the same position my mom played all her life! Even though at the beginning I wasn’t very good, I had my own personal coach at home, which was awesome. She always helped me practice and gave me great tips and advice on how to be a better player.
Once I got older, I got more serious about playing. When I was 12, I joined a select team called Southwestern Illinois Volleyball Club. They were way more serious and disciplined than my school volleyball team. As I started playing more and more, the more I loved the game. I played during our school season (August – November) then went right into select (December – April) then went to different summer camps around the area (May – July). So for 7 years, I lived and breathed volleyball. My mom came to every one of my games and tournaments and I really appreciate her always being there for me, cheering me on.
Being part of a group sport really teaches you a lot of things about life. For example, since I made a commitment to my coach and team at the beginning of each season, volleyball became my number one priority (next to school of course). But that meant that I couldn’t always go to my friends’ house on the weekends because I had to be up for a 6am tournament on Sunday. Or I couldn’t just stay home and relax after a long day at school because I had a 3-hour practice that night. I learned what it meant to sacrifice and be dedicated to something greater than yourself. Another thing volleyball taught me was how to be a team player and a leader. As the setter, you are the brain of the team; you have to make decisions on where the set will go, you have to be constantly talking and keeping everyone’s energy up, you are the one everyone turns too. Being a setter is a lot of pressure, but I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.
Overall, volleyball was a very influential and important part of my life. It taught me to be a better person, to always give my best effort 100% of the time, and know what it means to be committed and dedicated. Since I began college, I haven’t had the time to play as much as I would like, but I’m hoping to join a sand volleyball team with my mom this summer. Volleyball is a fun, fast-paced, and challenging sport and I’m so glad it was part of my life.          

No comments:

Post a Comment