Sunday, April 1, 2012

How to Tip Your Server

Working at a restaurant this past year has really opened my eyes to the server's point of view. I have a new appreciation for what really goes on behind the scenes. However, the biggest thing I have taken away from serving is how to PROPERLY tip your server.

There's a few general things you should know about tipping.

10% = Bad service
15% = Average service
20% = Satisfactory service

I know many people think that 10% is a standard tip, but I get upset if I only get 10% or less. I'm making $4.95/hour and I'm relying on the guests' tips as the majority of my paycheck. It's also good to know that satisfied does not mean the same thing as exceptional. If your server is polite, attentive, pleasant, and provided you with a satisfied dine-in experience, they deserve a 20% tip. However, if your server goes above and beyond, you should tip more than 20%. An easy way to do the math without the calculator is to just move the decimal over and double! For example, if your bill was $25.00, move the decimal over = $2.50 (10%) and double (20%) to get a final total of $5.00 for a tip. For those of you who can't afford to follow the proper tipping rules, to be honest, servers would rather you stay at home. As I said before, we are counting on your tips as the majority of our income, so for you to come to the restaurant, take up a table in my section, make me give you satisfactory service just for a crappy tip? No thank you. (Sorry if that sounded rude, but it's the way 95% of servers feel). Another rule of thumb; if you get a discount (use a coupon) ALWAYS tip on the full amount. Servers have to provide the same service either way, so we're expecting a tip on what the full amount would be without the discount.

Now, every time I go to a restaurant, I pay close attention to my server and the environment. Before, I never really thought about tipping my server. I would always tip the bare minimum because I didn't understand how to tip properly. As I have worked in a restaurant, my perspective has changed drastically. I hope those of you who read this take your server's into more consideration the next time you go out to eat.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post! I 100% agree with you! I have been serving since the day I turned 16 and I know very well that people do not tip the way they should. I am not sure if it is lack of knowledge from the customer or if people are just that cheap sometimes. But I agree, if you cant afford to tip then its better that you just stay home because that is part of going out to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete