Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I Am From...

I am from video cassettes,
From toys and blankets.
I am from the grass and hills of the backyard.
(Warm and welcoming on a hot summer’s day)
I am from the honeysuckle bush lining the fence.
The weeping willow whose long gone limbs I remember as if they were my own.
I’m from fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and fishing at the lake,
From Mammie and Bampy.
I’m from the up-all-nights and the go-getters
And from the loud-mouths.
I’m from follow directions but always have fun
And zip-a-dee-doo-dah.
I’m from cutting down the Christmas tree.
I’m from St. Louis and Germany,
Deviled eggs and green ham.
From dad crashing his motorcycle,
Forever a daredevil.  
From the thousands of pictures of faces familiar
Always present where it counts the most; my heart.  

1 comment: